Thursday, October 9, 2008

Raising a happy child

Since Taylor has started working nights, Zach now fills the void and gets to sleep in the bed with me. He never use to got to do this and I am generally disappointed at the level I sleep I get when he is in bed with me. none the less, he gets to be there. I am awake at 3:00 in the morning since he fell off the bed. He went right back to sleep and is snoring like...well, a baby. As I lay here making sure he is fine and kissing him better, I stop and think of the many things you have to do as a mom. Its an exhausting list, any mother would tell you. I always try to remember what I told myself when Zach was a new baby. "Never have a moment with Zach that isn't worth remembering." Babies are only babies for a little while and they probably won't "remember" what you tell them or what happened day to day. But I think that the way that babies and toddlers are treated stays with them long after they are grown. Of course, we have our moments, when he's running away with a poopy diaper not wanting to be changed and I get frustrated because I don't really want to change the dang thing either. Its just something we have to do. I believe Zach is as happy as he is because of the time and patience that is given to him everyday. If I am getting to frustrated I take a step back and think what can I teach him that will make this not happen again, or what can I do to make this fun for Zach. Toddlers learn so quickly and by example. Keep your cool and make what you are doing fun for them, they go along with anything if you make it in to a game (ie. cleaning, running errands, watching you wash the dishes) . So what if you look silly walking around the super market singing and dancing. Its far better then walking around with a screaming child. Either way everyone in the next five eiles is going to look at you but at least you are having fun with your baby. And look at all the crazies at Walmart. Usually it makes me feel more like I belong there. I feel very lucky that I have such a healthy, fun and cute child. I am sure everyone out there already knows all this, but I am still learning how to do the "supermom" thing. How are mom's capable of doing everything and shouldn't I already have that ability now that I have been a mom for almost 18 months. And I find it interesting how some people don't see the effects that they have on their children. Mom's I know its hard but keep up the good work, your children desrve the best you have to offer them.

No comments: